Cleveland Public Theatre (CPT) is seeking exceptional Teaching Artists for its celebrated Brick City Theatre program and Student Theatre Enrichment Program (STEP). Teaching Artists of all performance-related arts disciplines are welcome to apply. The deadline to apply is March 1.
The Teaching Artist position has two areas of responsibility:
- Instruction: teach the basics of their primary discipline to children participants; create and implement curriculum; collaborate with CPT Education Staff and other professional artists; develop original performance material
- Administration: work with CPT Education Staff – Program Director in all areas of program delivery including: participant recruitment, management and evaluation; daily class plans and reports; and development of program partner relationships
- Brick City Theatre An after-school and summertime theatre arts program for children ages 5-14 living in public housing, offered in partnership with the Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority. Under the dedicated guidance of CPT Teaching Artists, children enhance academic and life skills as they develop their own plays and perform them for their community.
- Student Theatre Enrichment Program (STEP) Rigorous training for inner city youth ages 14-19 in acting, writing, movement, voice, production, and touring. During the 8-week summer program, students work in collaboration with CPT artists to develop an original play or an inventive adaptation of an existing work, and then tour it to outdoor venues throughout the City of Cleveland.
- Extensive experience in at least one theatre-related arts discipline (dance, drumming, singing, acting, creative writing, etc.)
- Experience teaching children and/or teenagers.
- Qualified to be a strong role model for inner city youth and/or teenagers.
- Energetic, responsive, flexible, creative
- Attentive to details, ability to work independently
- Openness to learning new techniques in the creation of original performance material
- Programs run 8-10 weeks, 4-6 days per week, June-Aug 2018
- Daytime and early evening hours – or – Afternoon and evening hours (depending on program)
- Extended days for training and program touring
- Artist must have a reliable means of transportation.
To apply for the position, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put your last name as the subject header followed by: TEACHING ARTIST. The email should include an attached resume.