Joan Yellen Horvitz Director Fellowship Application
Deadline: Monday, December 18th, 2017
CPT’s Director Fellow Program is a year-long program for emerging directors of extraordinary potential living in Northeast Ohio. Supported by Joan Yellen Horvitz, CPT initiated this program to address Cleveland’s limited pool of directors with experience in directing new work and to meet the needs of up-and-coming directors.
The program includes a wide range of activities suited to the individual artist’s strengths and interest in areas of skill development. Past fellows have assistant directed full productions, created and directed original pieces for Station Hope and Pandemonium, and assisted in coordinating events and new play development series.
The Director Fellow Program is a direct mentorship with Executive Artistic Director Raymond Bobgan. Fellows work directly with Raymond and the CPT staff.
Overview of Fellowship
The Director Fellow program changes each year to fit the needs of the selected directors and CPT’s season. CPT will select 1-2 Director Fellows. The Fellowship period will be February 2018 – January 2019.
Fellows will receive $2,000 and engage in a host of activities that will be crafted for each fellow. Below is an overview of activities that past Director Fellows engaged in:
- Undertook administrative work in the office supporting the artistic director and individual productions.
- Created an original work for Pandemonium.
- Attended Devising Directing Class/Theatre Creation Class taught by Raymond Bobgan.
- Assistant Directed a CPT production.
- Directed new work in CPT New Play Development Series.
- Directed an original production in CPT’s Storefront Studio.
Director Fellows must have significant available time to work on major artistic projects. Rehearsals and other commitments are typically in the evenings and weekends. The commitment required for the fellowship is equal to directing or performing in three shows over the fellowship period. Director Fellows will have little time to do work at other theatres, and all such work must be planned with CPT’s consent.
Director Fellows must be a current resident of Northeast Ohio.
We are seeking directors of extraordinary potential. We are not looking for the most accomplished directors. We are looking for directors that have demonstrated ability and have a comprehensive understanding of theatre.
Directors should have a strong curiosity in developing new works. Though experience in devising theatre or work on new plays is not a requirement, an interest and understanding of the development process is critical.
We are looking for people who are fun to work with and have the ability to gather great artists to make great work.
We want to have the largest impact on the community as possible, so we are looking for directors who are at the “right time” in their growth to most benefit from this fellowship.
In noting your strengths and weaknesses, please be thoughtful. If you are already awesome at working with actors, have a great sense of narrative, and know how to produce, then you are at the top of your craft and should be mentoring others. We are looking for artists that are truly grappling with the enormity of the craft and are hungry to grow. We are looking for artists who have weaknesses that this fellowship can address in meaningful ways.
Because this is a mentorship with Raymond Bobgan, be clear about specific qualities in his work that make you interested in being mentored by him as a director.
Applying for the Fellowship
If you would like to be considered for the 2017/2018 Director Fellowship, please follow the application instructions below, and submit electronically to Artistic Associate Molly Andrews-Hinders (email@example.com).
The selection process will involve interviews. CPT will notify all applying artists at the end of the selection process through a form email. CPT hopes to complete the selection process by February 19, 2018.
Past Joan Yellen Horvitz Directing Fellows
|Pandora Robertson – 11/12 season|
Renee Schilling – 11/12 season
Denise Astorino-Brown – 12/13 season
|Melissa Crum – 13/14 season|
Caitlin Lewins – 13/14 season
Tecia Delores Wilson – 15/16 season
Jaclyn Vogel – 15/16 season
Deadline to apply is December 18th, 2017.
Director Fellow 17-18 APPLICATION
Deadline: December 18th, 2017
To apply, please follow the instructions below and send all information in a singular email to CPT Artistic Associate, Molly Andrews-Hinders at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only email applications will be considered.
SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR EMAIL: state your name and “director fellow application”—for example: Jane Smith, Director Fellow Application.
PLEASE LIST THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IN THE BODY OF THE EMAIL.
Mailing Address: _______________________________________________________________
Email Address: _________________________________________________________________
Cell Phone Number: ___________________________________________________________
PLEASE ATTACH A WORD DOCUMENT OR PDF OF UP TO THREE PAGES ANSWERING THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS.
This document should not to exceed 1800 words. Name the file using the following format: “your name – Director Fellow Narrative” For example: Jane Doe – Director Fellow Narrative.
- TIME: How will you assure that you will have the necessary time to participate fully in the program?
- WHO: Describe your current state as a theatre artist. What have you learned so far? What strengths give a foundation to your work? What exciting challenges are you facing that you feel this fellowship can help you address?
- WHAT: What kind of projects are you interested in working on? Do you have an idea of what production you would like to create or direct if selected?
- WHY: How do you anticipate the Director Fellowship will impact you as an artist? A bulk of the program involves mentoring with Executive Artistic Director Raymond Bobgan. What do you hope to learn and gain from this relationship? Why is this the right mentor for you? Why is this the “right time” for you to undertake this fellowship?
- Additional Info: Is there any other information we should know while considering your application?
ATTACH SUPPLEMENTARY MATERIALS:
The following should be attached as three (3) individual pdfs or word documents:
- Resume (if you have separate artistic and work resumes, please include both)
- Bio (a 200 word narrative of your resume)
- References—two references of individuals who can speak in depth about your work and artistry
- Script: if you have devised work or feel that past playwriting work will strengthen your application, please attach scripts as pdf or word doc
- Video: if you have video that can demonstrate your skill and artistry please include a link (and password if needed) in the body of the email to that video. Please list show information with the link: name of show, location, date, and your role in the production.
- Photo: if you have photos that can demonstrate your skill and artistry, please include a link to a photo sharing or personal website, or send us photos via dropbox, yousendit, or other such applications.