Cleveland Public Theatre (CPT) is hiring a Director of Patron Services/Box Office Manager. This role will function as a department head, will be a core part of the CPT staff and will make a meaningful contribution to life at CPT and its success.
CPT is looking for an upbeat, charming, helpful person to engage with patrons by phone and in-person and get them excited about their CPT experience. This role is responsible for managing and recording box office transactions including online ticketing, and production and season ticket reporting. The role will manage the CPT ticketing and CRM database. This role manages box office staff, house managers, bartenders and other front of house staff. This role will also engage with donors around benefit event ticketing. This role coordinates food & beverage for receptions and small parties. This position must frequently exercise independent judgment, initiative and the ability to constantly re-prioritize competing responsibilities. Previous Box Office experience is required. Candidates fluent in Spanish are especially desirable. This employee will report to the General Manager. Like all staff members, the role will actively contribute to the working environment and culture at CPT and the success of the organization. The successful candidate will be collaborative, eager to learn and dedicated to working in theatre. CPT has a demanding working environment with long, intense hours, but we have fun and love what we do. We value hard work, kindness, generosity, passion and grace-under-pressure. CPT serves a diverse audience and works to make its staff diverse as well. Work week is 40+ hours, with regular evenings and weekends required October through June. Pay ranges from $30,000 to $34,000 depending on experience and includes health benefits. CPT seeks to fill the position by July 10, 2017.
- Provide the Best Possible Patron Experience
- Make patrons feel welcome
- Provide clear information about our performances, organization, neighborhood, aesthetic and mission
- Conduct ticket sales by phone and in-person with patrons
- Prevent and resolve customer disputes to mutual satisfaction
- Provide Insight into Patron Reactions and Concerns
- Document specific patron reactions to pricing, amenities, parking and other comments that patrons make on their experience
- Share impressions of patron satisfaction based on daily interactions
- Anticipate patron needs and concerns
- Participate in CPT Audience Engagement Committee
- Manage and Record Box Office Activities and Transactions
- Maintain regular public box office hours
- Manage and maintain online ticketing transactions and ticketing server
- Reconcile box office cash drawer and generate box office activity reports on daily basis
- Management of box office deposits
- Manage part-time Box Office Associate
- Provide Ticket Sales and Patron Activity Reporting
- Production ticket sales reporting and accounting reconciliation
- Ongoing and end-of-season ticket sales reporting and analysis
- Data analysis of patron activity, (first-time buyers, returning patrons, discount programs, etc.)
- Managing ticketing database
- Manage House Management and FOH Activities
- Hire and manage House Management staff
- Create patron lists and Front of House Notes for House Managers
- Recruit and manage volunteer ushers, including scheduling
- Manage Concessions, Bar Activities and Receptions
- Hire and manage bartending staff
- Manage bar cash box deposits and deposit entry
- Manage the stocking of bars and concessions
- Coordinate alcohol, beverages & food for receptions and special events
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Exceptional conversational skills, verbal expression and warm attitude
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and exceptional knowledge of Excel
- Experience with ticketing software or use of customer relation management (CRM) databases
- Candidates fluent in Spanish are especially desirable
- Basic knowledge of QuickBooks and accounting is a plus
- Background in Information Technology Management is a plus
- Previous live theatre box office experience. Box office management experience a plus.
- Previous retail or customer service experience
- Cash handling and cash drawer reconciliation experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, performing arts, humanities or related fields or equivalent work experience
Qualities & Personality
- A genuine interest in the arts and knowledge of live theatre
- Enjoy speaking with and helping the general public
- Natural curiosity in how things work
- Able to work efficiently and calmly in a fast paced environment
- Ability to multi-function/prioritize and keep busy at all times
- Ability to focus on details and work with numbers
- Energetic, enthusiastic and always willing
- Must be able to lift and transport cases of beverages throughout a multi-level facility
- In addition to normal business hours, availability required to work most Monday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings, October through June
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should send a two-page cover letter, resume and references to the attention of Matt Segall, Business Manager, at email@example.com by June 21, 2017.
No phone calls, please.
ABOUT CLEVELAND PUBLIC THEATRE: CPT’s mission is to raise consciousness and nurture compassion through groundbreaking performances and life-changing education programs. CPT implements this mission through its annual theatrical season, featuring between 8-10 adventurous professional productions, a robust series of play development programs that support writers and devisers at multiple points in the creative process and a bold educational program that engages disadvantaged youth and adults in creating their own plays and sharing them with the community. CPT is a nationally recognized center for contemporary performance and new plays with an annual budget of $2 million and a full-time staff of twenty-one.
For a printable PDF version of this job description, click here.