Cleveland Public Theatre (CPT) is hiring a Finance Manager which is a core part of the CPT staff and will make a meaningful contribution to life at CPT and its success. To apply for the position, send an email to Denis M. Griesmer, General Manager/Director of Finance at firstname.lastname@example.org by end of day Friday, August 11th. Subject line should read: [LAST NAME], Finance Manager. The email should include two attachments: a resume and a two-page cover letter describing why you are interested in this position, what you have to offer and why you would want to work at Cleveland Public Theatre. Candidates may be asked to provide additional materials after original application.
Finance Manager Job Description
The Finance Manager requires leadership and initiative, is part of a team-driven staff, and reports to the General Manager/Director of Finance (GM/DOF). The role is responsible for the day-to-day oversight of CPT’s financial operations as well as working with the GM/DOF on a range of financial management and human resource initiatives. Financial responsibilities include management of accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, bank accounts, other assets, and liabilities such as staff credit cards. This role has oversight for human resources records; and needs to balance routine tasks with project-based assignments, and problem-solving situations. CPT has a history of training theatre professionals in finance skills who have shown excellence and attention to detail in other fields of theatre. Theatre professionals with theatre experience but limited financial management experience should feel welcome to apply, as well as financial management professionals across all industries. Candidates are early career managers with an eye towards organizational leadership.
Salary range is $45k to $55k based on education & work experience. Anticipated start date is Monday, September 18th.
CPT offers a benefits package that includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability
- 29 days of Paid Time Off (including holidays).
- Free tickets to Pandemonium, CPT’s annual fundraiser.
- Reimbursements for tickets to other local theatres (restrictions apply).
- Participation in “First Fridays”, CPT’s lunch and learn mentorship program where staff members get to engage with staff members of all-levels to encourage advancement.
- An awe-inspiring view of Lake Erie from our rooftop deck!
CPT cares passionately about reflecting our community and pursuing diversity at all levels of the organization. CPT has a strong team-work environment, we have fun and love what we do. We value hard work, and strive to center courage, humanity, integrity, representation, respect, and JOY, “challenging each other to do and be our collective best.” CPT is an organically un-siloed organization; cross department work is a norm. Historically, a majority of plays produced at CPT are by BIPOC artists and by women. In the past three years, CPT has undertaken work to accelerate and formalize its growth to becoming a fully anti-racist organization, engaging all staff board and artists in that work.
For applicants considering relocation to Cleveland: our city is an excellent community to live in with top-notch arts, culture and dining, a vibrant theatre scene, beautiful public parks, a great lake, and affordable housing.
- Oversee and/or Execute Bookkeeping Activities
- Process record-keeping for current and long-term assets and liabilities
- Process bank deposits and reconcile bank accounts
- Process and enter accounts receivables activity
- Process monthly vendor statements
- Manage monthly financial close tasks
- Record ticket and development revenues
- Track collection of outstanding receivables and work with relevant staff on collections
- Reconcile box office/development systems to accounting system and work with box office and development staffs as needed
- Reconcile concessions POS system to accounting system and work with front of house staff as needed
- Supervise accounts payable entry
- Supervise staff credit card activity entry and monthly reconciliation
- Supervise vendor payments and billing issues
- Manage Execution of Payroll and Payroll Records
- Serve as payroll administrator
- Manage employee benefits and related record keeping
- Manage Monthly and Annual Reporting
- Conduct General Ledger account analysis
- Prepare journal entries
- Prepare materials for the annual audit and the Form 990
- Prepare templates and conduct research for budget development
- Prepare monthly departmental budget to actual reports; respond to staff questions
- Assist GM in monthly financial projections and annual budget
- Assist with cash flow management
- Train and respond to staff questions on financial activities like account coding, submission and payment of bills, invoices, and timesheets
- Maintain documentation on financial policies, procedure, and processes
- Annual processing of 1099‘s and W-2
- Assist in Finance Committee meeting preparation including taking notes during the meeting.
- Other duties as assigned
- Act as the GM/DoF representative as required
- Commit to centering antiracist and anti-oppressive practices in their work
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Strong knowledge of MS Excel
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Comfort with Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Sign
- Excellent numerical, computational, and analytical skills
- Understanding of accounting & financial statements
- Formal training in accounting or bookkeeping
- Formal training in not-for-profit or business management
- Previous administrative work experience at a theatre, arts organization, not-for-profit, or services-based organization is preferred
- Experience using at least one accounting software package
- Experience administering hourly and salaried payrolls
- Experience with budgets to actuals reporting and other financial report preparation
- Experience using a customer relationship management database application in relation to revenue recognition and recording
- Some experience with retail or food service cash register reporting (examples: Square, Clover) or related experience
Qualities and Personality
- Attention to detail and accuracy while working on multiple projects and tasks
- Able to work efficiently and calmly in a fast-paced environment
- Able to re-prioritize tasks as they arise
- Genuine interest in the arts and knowledge of live theatre
- Highly organized and self-motivated
- Energetic, enthusiastic, and always willing to see projects to completion
- Ability to work with and maintain confidential information
Application for Position
Review of candidates will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. To apply for the position, send an email to Denis M. Griesmer, General Manager/Director of Finance at email@example.com, by end of day Friday, August 11th. Subject line should read: [LAST NAME], Finance Manager. The email should include two attachments: a resume and a two-page cover letter describing your why you are interested in this position, what you have to offer and why you would want to work at Cleveland Public Theatre. Candidates may be asked to provide additional materials after original application. No phone calls or emails, please.
CPT is a nationally recognized center for contemporary performance. Its mission is to raise consciousness and nurture compassion through groundbreaking theatre and life-changing education programs. CPT implements this mission through its annual theatrical season, featuring between eight to ten adventurous professional productions and a robust series of new play development programs that support writers and devisers at multiple points in the creative process. CPT’s acclaimed education programs engage communities in devising new works that speak to contemporary issues and empower participants to work for positive change in our community. CPT is home to resident community ensembles Teatro Público de Cleveland and Masrah Cleveland Al-Arabi, and CPT annually presents Station Hope, a large-scale community arts festival. CPT’s annual budget is around $2.5 million a year. CPT has 25 full-time staff members.