Cleveland Public Theatre (CPT) produces groundbreaking performances and life-changing education programs inside of our mission to raise consciousness and nurture compassion. CPT seeks up to three experienced collaborative theatre artists to fill a unique two-month position with CPT’s nationally recognized education program – Student Theatre Enrichment Program (STEP). For more information, visit www.cptonline.org or www.cptonline.org/education/student-theatre-enrichment-program
STEP – CPT’s Student Theatre Enrichment Program (STEP) is an arts-based job training program that engages Cleveland teens from families defined as low-income in a powerful 8-week intensive that focuses on excellence in performance, play creation, physical theatre, writing, production, and set design/construction. Students ages 14-19, with little or no previous performance experience, are eligible for participation, and earn money while learning and practicing valuable job skills such as timeliness, communication, commitment, and teamwork. Under the guidance of CPT artists, teens develop an original play and then tour it to public parks throughout the city of Cleveland. Since its beginning in 1995, STEP has received multiple awards and recognitions including those from the City of Cleveland, The President’s Committee on the Arts and the Humanities, and the National Endowment for the Arts. STEP is the longest-running arts-based, job-training program in Cleveland and has been utilized as an international model for engaging youth. Through STEP, teens see themselves as a positive and inspirational force, and watch as their work has an impact on the larger Cleveland community.
Description of Position
The Creator/Director (C/D) reports to the STEP Program Director. This position is an 8 to 10-week intensive, full-time staff position, including evenings and weekends. Pay $750 – $1,000/week based on experience.
Theatre Creator/Director is responsible for leading the creation of an original play with a team of instructors and a cast of Cleveland teens with little or no theatre experience. The play is performed outdoors in neighborhoods throughout Cleveland.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: We’re seeking a devising/ensemble-based director with strong leadership skills and a passion for working with teens. The position requires extraordinary theatre-making; adaptability; professionalism; grace-under-pressure; imagination; and the ability to lead script writing, blocking, and overall play production. Experience in devising theatre is critical. The successful candidate will be collaborative, eager to learn and lead, possess excellent organization skills, and a passion to create warm, exciting, empowering community experiences for our programs’ participants.
The Creator/Director’s responsibilities include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Teach the basics of acting and performance to teen participants who have no previous theatre experience
- Create curriculum; develop original performance material
- Collaborate with and lead team of professional artists of various disciplines
- Work with STEP instructors in all areas of program and play development including script writing, participant evaluation and management of participants
- Act as a strong role model for youth
- Special consideration for ability to tour and manage two weeks of live performances
- Programs run 8 weeks, 4-6 days per week, June-Aug 2020, job begins onsite June 8 and concludes as early as Aug 1 and as late as Aug 15 (based on availability of the Creator/Director)
- Youth are on site approximately 6 hours a day during creation and more while on tour. The C/D works extended hours, typically in the past as many as 70 hours a week.
DEADLINE TO APPLY IS March 20th
Interested candidates should email two-page cover letter, résumé, and references to: STEP Program Director, Molly Andrews-Hinders firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject header should read: [LAST NAME], STEP Creator/Director.