Cleveland Public Theatre (CPT) is seeking exceptional Teaching Artists for its celebrated Brick City Theatre. Artists with experience in theatre creation and/or spoken word performance are welcome to apply.
The Lead Teaching Artist position has the following core areas of responsibility:
- Lead Creation of Original Performance based in the artist’s primary discipline and area of mastery, inspired by Black History;
- Nurture, develop, and uplift youth voices while celebrating CMHA community;
- Create and implement session curriculum, daily class plans, and voice reports;
- Collaborate with CPT Education Staff and other professional artists to lead development of original performance material.
Lead Teaching Artist will also support other administrative aspects of program delivery including: participant recruitment, management, and evaluation; and development of program partner relationships
- Brick City Theatre An after-school and summertime theatre arts program for children ages 5-14 living in public housing, offered in partnership with the Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority (CMHA). Classes are held at four CMHA community centers: Lakeview Terrace, Woodhill Homes, Outhwaite Homes, and Riverside Park. Under the dedicated guidance of CPT Teaching Artists, children enhance academic and life skills as they develop their own plays and perform them for their community.
- Extensive experience in theatre and/or spoken word performance
- Experience teaching children and/or teenagers
- Experience developing and directing original productions with members of marginalized communities
- Energetic, responsive, flexible, creative
- Qualified to be a strong role model for Cleveland youth
- Programs run January through March, dates depending on CMHA site placement
- Program culminates with public presentation at a CMHA community center
- Class is held 2-3 days a week from 4-6pm at a CMHA community center, days depend on site placement
- Pay is competitive and commensurate with artist experience
- Artist must have a reliable means of transportation
To apply for the position, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put your last name as the subject header followed by: TEACHING ARTIST. The email should include a brief summary of the most recent original production artist facilitated (age group, context, and content) and an attached resume. DEADLINE December 15th.
Applications will be reviewed on a first come, first served basis. Positions will be filled as soon as possible.