CPT’s Kulas Foundation Theatre Composer Initiative
Deadline for Application is
Monday September 9, 2019
CPT is now accepting applications for The Kulas Foundation Theatre Composer fellowships. The Kulas Foundation Theatre Composer Initiative is a yearlong fellowship program providing early-career composers with first-hand experience creating music and sound design for theatre.
This initiative engages composers/designers in a collaborative process, under the guidance of the show producer and director, to compose and produce original music for full productions and works-in-development in CPT’s Season and to learn about other parts of the creative and production process of theatre. Composers gain hands-on learning experiences through sound design opportunities.
The program is intended to significantly grow CPT’s capacity for developing original music and sound design, and to support the growth and emergence of local artists.
In order to ensure the development of work past this residency, both the composer and Cleveland Public Theatre will retain rights to composed materials developed through the Theatre Composer Initiative.
The Composer and CPT will work together to develop an intense and fruitful fellowship. The following represents the primary pieces of the fellowship, but the plan will be adapted to best suit the selected fellow.
- Compose and produce original music and sound design for one full stage production or work-in-development. Composer/Designers will be expected to attend the meetings and rehearsals for each show. These meetings do not include the actual time composing and producing music for the show.
- 3 early stage meetings with director and artistic team (75 minutes).
- Weekly production meetings for six weeks leading up to opening (75 minutes).
- One rehearsal a week for first five weeks of rehearsal (4 hours each).
- Tech and dress rehearsals leading up to performance.
- Meet with director and/or producer throughout the project to engage in a collaborative creative process.
The Composer/Designer will perform all tasks related to sound design and composition including recording, development of cues, and cueing.
- Participate in other learning opportunities and support CPT’s work
- CPT will provide a series of other opportunities for the composer to deepen their knowledge of theatre and collaboration including shadowing experiences, internships, workshops, and forums.
- Composer may be asked to take on a sound or music related project for the theatre—for example to run sound for a show, or to assist or produce specific music composed by others.
- CPT may provide other intern level opportunities in non-music/sound areas.
- Participate in the life of the theatre
Composers will have opportunities to interact with staff, artists and audiences through attending opening nights, special meetings, volunteer opportunities, and events.
In addition to providing the experiences in this program CPT will also provide the following:
- $1,500 stipend.
- Possible additional underwriting for musicians, specialized sound equipment for implementation of design, or recording to be approved by CPT Executive Artistic Director.
- Free Tickets for Composer and Guest to all CPT shows during the Fellowship.
- Applicant must be a resident of Northeast Ohio.
- This program is not available for current students.
- Applicant must have a college degree or equivalent in music or theatre.
- Applicant must have significant available time to work on major artistic projects. Rehearsals and other commitments are typically in the evenings and weekends.
- Applicant must have had experience in music composition for theatre or dance and basic knowledge of sound design.
We are looking for a composer/designer who has demonstrated ability and extraordinary potential.
We are seeking an adventurous and generous artist that relishes the collaborative process and enjoys working with others in evolving environments.
We want to have the largest impact on the community as possible, so we are looking for a composer who is at the “right time” in his/her growth to most benefit from the fellowship.
Applying for the Program
If you would like to be considered for the 2019/2020 Kulas Foundation Theatre Composer Initiative, please follow the application instructions at the links below, and submit electronically to NNPN Producer in Residence India Nicole Burton at firstname.lastname@example.org
Process and Notification
The selection process will involve interviews. CPT will notify all applying artists at the end of the selection process through a form email. CPT hopes to complete the selection process by November 8, 2019.
Deadline and Important Dates
- Applications must be received by Monday, September 9, 2019
- Finalists will be notified in October 2019
- Recipient will be notified in November 2019
- The fellowship year is January 2020 – December 2020