Cleveland Public Theatre’s (CPT) mission is to raise consciousness and nurture compassion through groundbreaking performances and life-changing education programs. CPT seeks a wide range of mid-career candidates interested in joining its hard-working team with the ambitious goals of growing the organization and changing the community as the Technical Director/Production Manager. For more information, visit www.cptonline.org.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: July 12, 2019
Description of Position
The Technical Director/Production Manager reports to the Associate Artistic Director/Director of Production as a year-round, salaried, staff position working well over 40 hours a week. Salary range is 36-46k, commensurate with experience, and is competitive based on comparable theatres nationally. Some benefits included.
The Technical Director/Production Manager manages and implements all technical aspects of productions except costumes for CPT’s season of full productions (8-12); four new work developmental series; Pandemonium (a massive annual event); Station Hope (a one day social justice festival); as well as other artistic projects and productions. CPT programs in two theatres and embraces the opportunity to produce theatre in nontraditional spaces.
The TD/PM, along with their direct reporting Master Carpenter, handle all builds, lighting, video and sound installations, with only occasional additional over-hire.
The Technical Director/Production Manager will have the opportunity to work as an artist at CPT and to continue their own artistic growth.
Candidates must have four years of full-time technical theatre work or equivalent as a freelancer.
The successful candidate will have a track record of successful shop organization, management, and administrative experience. They will be collaborative, eager to learn new ways of working, service-oriented, and highly self-motivated. Candidates must possess excellent technical skills in at least three of the following areas: sound design/sound technician, lighting design/master electrician work, video design/implementation, and scenic design/set construction.
CPT cares passionately about reflecting our community and pursuing diversity at all levels of the organization. CPT has a demanding work environment with long, intense hours, but we have fun and love what we do! We value hard work, kindness, generosity, passion, and grace-under-pressure. For applicants considering relocation to Cleveland: our city is an excellent community to live in, with top-notch arts and culture, a vibrant theatre scene, beautiful public parks, a great lake, and VERY affordable housing.
Interested candidates should email two-page cover letter, résumé, and references to: email@example.com. Subject header should read: [LAST NAME], Technical Director/Production Manager.
The deadline to apply is Friday, July 12, 2019.
ABOUT CLEVELAND PUBLIC THEATRE
CPT’s mission is to raise consciousness and nurture compassion through groundbreaking theatre and life-changing education programs. CPT implements this mission through its annual theatrical season, featuring between 10-15 adventurous professional productions, a robust series of new play development programs that support writers and devisers at multiple points in the creative process, and bold education programs that engage disadvantaged youth and adults in creating their own plays and sharing them with the community. CPT’s annual budget is approximately $2.3 million. CPT’s accumulated surplus, building reserve, strong cash position, and significant working capital provide for a relatively stable business environment. CPT has 20 full-time staff members.
DETAILED JOB DESCRIPTION
- Implement all technical aspects of productions and events
- Manage scene shop and maintain its organization
- Maintain tools and equipment
- Maintain technical aspects of performance venues
- Work with designers to ensure they design within budget and organizational capacity
- Hang lights, set-up sound, and build sets for performances
- Recruit, engage, and oversee limited over-hire
- Strategically develop the technical theatre department in collaboration with the Associate Artistic Director/Director of Production
- Exceptional project management skills, i.e. the ability to assess, prioritize, and drive multiple projects at the same time
- Exemplary communication skills
- Ability to collaborate and be a team player
- Excellent technical skills in at least three of the following areas:
- Sound design/sound technician
- Lighting design/master electrician
- Scenic design/set construction
- Video design/video implementation
- Ability to lift and carry up to 70lbs
- Experience managing expenses and budgets
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Excel
- Working knowledge of VectorWorks, QLab, and other industry standard programs
- 4 years of full-time work in a professional production department or equivalent as an individual contractor
- 3 years of experience as a Technical Director or equivalent
- Preferably 2 years of experience working in a small scale theatre
- Proven track record of success in shop organization
- Some staff management and administrative experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience